Sunday, September 2, 2012

Baby's first time eating avocado

Today we fed avocado to baby for the first time, and it was a success!  Being from the east coast, I didn't try and avocado until I was in my 20s probably.  Our baby is about 5 1/2 months old and he's already had it.  That might account for why I was so excited for him to try it, and also because I really love avocado.  In sushi, guacamole, sandwiches, anything.  I wonder if they make avocado ice cream.



We use the Beaba baby food cooker above, which is really just a food processor mixed with a steamer. We have a lot of kitchen gadgets, so we probably could have done without it, but it was a gift from family and it does work well.

My wife read somewhere that you could measure out servings of the food in ice cube trays once it's steamed and ready, that way you'll have little servings that can be taken out of the freezer any time they're needed.  It's easy enough to do and utilizes something we already own, so there's no added expense.  We take them out of the trays once they're frozen and put them into glass leftover containers because we're trying to limit his food's exposure to plastic.  Even if the trays are BPA free (which I'm not sure they are) they'll find something else in plastic that's bad, so I'm sticking with glass as much as I can.

We went on a little mini vacation to visit my parents on Cape Cod, and met some neighbors with a new baby about the same age.  Their child is a little older, and had already tried avocado.  He did not like it. I was worried, because I had built up avocado in my mind knowing that it's full of nutrients and good fats.  I found this California Avocado Nutrition Website with lots of information about the avocado; they really are amazing.

Before we left my wife prepared apples, sweet potatoes, pears, nectarines, and avocados in the Beaba, so when we returned we had our choice of what to give him.  We went with avocado and he seemed to love it.  There were a couple of times he made funny faces, like when he ate the applesauce for the first time, but only once or twice and not on his first bites.  The applesauce we had to mix with the rice cereal to get him to eat without making faces, but the avocado he ate all by itself with no problem.

He ate the entire ice cube of avocado, and almost all of his rice cereal immediately afterward.  We'll feed him avocado for three more days then try something else, probably the sweet potato.

1 comment:

  1. That's great! My daughter had avocado today for the first time and loved it! 5 1/2 months old

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts